I knit. And I cook, write, take pictures. All for one low price.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

roving eye had

I just spent the better part of an hour preparing some handdyed roving that I bought last year. I am finally getting ready to spin again. I had two one-pound balls of roving which needed to be pre-drafted. About halfway through the first ball, I came upon some debris and then a shed skin of a larvae. I have never ever had this problem before. This roving lived on the enclosed front porch during freezing temperatures. I have another one which I checked immediately and it's clean (very very clean, in fact. It's from another company. Very carefully carded and CLEAN).

I threw out the stretch with the debris in it, and then realized that my palms had dye all over them. Am I going to be able to spin with this, and get dye all over me? I don't think so. I also don't think that I will unwind two one-pound balls of roving (they are the size of basketballs) to rinse the excess dye out of them--at this point I am not sure that is even possible.

Monday night is trash night.

I am not going to divulge the name of the company where I bought this roving. Their yarns are exceptional, but I have never worked with their spinning fiber before. If you want to message me about this on ravelry, my ID is KarinMT.


The hexagons, in the meantime, are nothing but fun.



And tomorrow, I am going on a daytrip to Northampton, MA, to see the Yarn Harlot at Webs (last parentheses of this entry: I hope she makes it there!!)
That oughta get that nasty roving right out of my head.

3 comments:

yoel said...

Those hexagons are delightful! And I can't believe how gross that roving is. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the larvae thing.

Meantime, those are gorgeous! Good thing the yarn stores are all closed at this hour. (I will NOT look online, I will NOT look online for those colorways...)

Jody said...

The hexes are looking great! Do you think the empty larvae skin could have been in the fiber before you bought it? You're so careful with your fibers that I can't imagine it grew after you cared for it.
Hope you have a lovely time at WEBS! And don't forget to visit their new bead store on the left just after you turn by the blue ATM machine.