I knit. And I cook, write, take pictures. All for one low price.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

18!

Tall Son is turning 18 today, and I warned him that I WILL embarrass him just this once.

This was him last summer, before he got his hair cut. He rarely lets me take his picture, so I am pulling this one from the archives.


This was my kids on the first day of school last September.
I love my son for a lot of reasons, but I love him especially because he and his sister get along.

Witness this special birthday card she made him this morning (Sponge Bob Squarepants can send them both giggling).

Inside the card:

Me, I'm trying to be sensible. He is going off to college, after all.

And next week, he's going on a European tour with the Empire State Youth Orchestra. So I got him a big fat suitcase.



I am trying to tell myself, The best thing a mother can do is to let their children spread their wings...lump in my throat, or not.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me this is an April Fool's Day joke and our little babies don't really ever get this big :-(

Happy Birthday to your handsome young man! 18, man! Tell him he's gotta rock the vote! I hope you guys have a wonderful day.

Oh, somehow Karin you have to listen to the song Highway by Ingrid Michaelson. I am trying to find a link but I'm unsuccessful so far.

Anonymous said...

You have such talented, beautiful children (sorry - one is an adult now)! Wonderful birthday wishes!

Sharon

Karin said...

Oh yes, he is excited to be able to vote this year!

I am not sure he has forgiven me for giving birth to him on April Fool's Day...but hey! He was ready!

And Sharon? Thank you for the compliment. :) I have NO idea where they came from. I look at them and I think, how did that happen?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Karin. You should be so proud of him (both of them really but it's not Annemarie's birthday) he is clearly a good reflection of all the hard work and good mothering you have put into him these 18 years.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin, Tell Mr.J happy birthday from a fellow Aries:-)
I can't believe how he has grown since I last saw both of them at the former Periwinkle S. I happy for you to have such kids nowadays that is rare.

Karin said...

Jackie..??Is your birthday April 1,too? And I forgot?

Laura said...

Score one for us April Fool's babies!

My mom said the same thing yesterday to me...that the best thing, even though it's hard is to do some letting go. Brutal, isn't it? Even with Isaac almost 4, I find myself preparing for the "letting go" of kindergarten...and don't even get me started about thinking of college!

Happy Belated bday to your wonderful Tall Son :) Tell him to take tons of pictures in Europe!!

eKNITabeth said...

Perhaps i should be embarrassed to know this... but that "cheer" isn't from SpongeBob... it's from Homestar Runner -- specifically the Teen Girl Squad cartoon drawn by StrongBad... here is a link:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs7.html

e.

Karin said...

e.
you are so right! Of course. I got that one wrong. Thanks for telling me!
OK, I'm embarrassed.