I knit. And I cook, write, take pictures. All for one low price.

Monday, January 22, 2007

cutting edge


These are the hands of my dear friend Anna cutting her Alice Starmore sweater last week.
The sweater has 15 colors of Jamieson's Spindrift 2ply jumperweight, and it took her nearly 6 years to make. Of course she made about a hundred other things alongside, like Estonian mittens, thrummed mittens, socks, hats, and sweaters for her entire family. 3 model garments for the yarn shop I used to own. And she moved house in the meantime too.
Part of the reason it took her so long to make, besides getting her master's degree in speech therapy and raising the aforementioned 3 kids, was that it required her to spread out her charts on the dining room table and not being able to converse with anyone. Which is hard to do in a house with 3 kids, let me tell you. But she persisted and persevered, and here it is, in all it's glory.
Congratulations, Anna! We will take the Rambling Rose Cardigan (from the book Stillwater) out in Grand Style! How about a jaunt to an LYS? Which is where this all began, anyway. We went on our first yarn crawl together when we shopped for that yarn, in Avon, CT. It became a tradition after that. I can highly recommend it. We go away for an entire day and come back with small armloads of yarn, having caught up with our lives and just having enjoyed the day thoroughly.
The cardigan is currently blocking. A picture and post of the proud knitter modeling her creation will follow soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...I know it shouldn't but seeing someone cut their knitting gets to me every time. I can't wait to see the FO :-)

Happy New Blog, btw. Hope all is well.

~Abi

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS, KARIN!!! Now I can see why you said it took Anna 6 years to make this beautiful sweater! And look at everything else she accomplished as well. Kudos to Anna! And I'm sure you were essential in the support department too. I don't see anything that involved in my future though. I'll stick to my top down sweaters! - Jody

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and adding me to your list! :o)

AlisonH said...

Brave woman. I have never done that. I can't see how I possibly ever could. Heart attacks are easier on the nerves than that.