7 random things about me.
1) I do not forward chain mail letters.
2) When I first came to this country as an exchange student in college, I thought I'd never come back.
3) I have seen 37 out of 50 states.
4) I don't know how to read crochet charts.
5) I like hardware stores, paint stores, and garden stores.
6) I love my mother's homemade jam the best.
7) I write poetry. Not as much as I used to, but I still do.
As a kid, going along the country road, I knew every house,
town, and tree. In winter, my little sister and I would count
all the lighted Christmas trees on the way home from Oma's house.
26 on the right, 32 on the left.
Summers, the moon followed me through the car window.
During a recent visit, my parents take me back to my grandparents' grave.
On a misty November morning, the new autobahn cuts through fields
I've never seen before. 4 lane bridges cover quiet streams,
straightened now, flowing too fast.
My face streaming with tears, I do not get this progress.
At the exit we take, I recognize the old road.
Only 6 kilometers of familiar sights.
An orchard, though it lost its leaves,
is holding on to a treeful of golden apples,
glowing like small lamps through the mist.
Karin Maag-Tanchak 05/07
There you have it....the line breaks are not appearing like I want them to. I hope you get the idea though.
8th random thing: Karin has not figured this blogging thing out.