I knit. And I cook, write, take pictures. All for one low price.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

7 random things

Vivian has tagged me in this game that bloggers like to play, where one is encouraged to write down 7 random things about oneself. I'll be a good sport and play along, but I will respectfully not tag anyone from here. With my apologies.... Of course if you want to, feel free to tell us your 7 random things, in the comment section or on your own blog. :)

7 random things about me.

1) I do not forward chain mail letters.

2) When I first came to this country as an exchange student in college, I thought I'd never come back.

3) I have seen 37 out of 50 states.

4) I don't know how to read crochet charts.

5) I like hardware stores, paint stores, and garden stores.

6) I love my mother's homemade jam the best.

7) I write poetry. Not as much as I used to, but I still do.


Autobahn

As a kid, going along the country road, I knew every house,

town, and tree. In winter, my little sister and I would count

all the lighted Christmas trees on the way home from Oma's house.

26 on the right, 32 on the left.

Summers, the moon followed me through the car window.

During a recent visit, my parents take me back to my grandparents' grave.

On a misty November morning, the new autobahn cuts through fields

I've never seen before. 4 lane bridges cover quiet streams,

straightened now, flowing too fast.

My face streaming with tears, I do not get this progress.

At the exit we take, I recognize the old road.

Only 6 kilometers of familiar sights.

An orchard, though it lost its leaves,

is holding on to a treeful of golden apples,

glowing like small lamps through the mist.

Karin Maag-Tanchak 05/07

There you have it....the line breaks are not appearing like I want them to. I hope you get the idea though.

8th random thing: Karin has not figured this blogging thing out.

4 comments:

Vivian said...

Thank you for indulging me, Karin. I love poetry too, but can only write them in Chinese.

Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

You left me with a lump in my throat. Well written.

Karin said...

Thank you so much for the positive feedback.
Alison, don't cry. I'll get the linebreaks right some day...:)