I knit. And I cook, write, take pictures. All for one low price.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

it's really true

I got to go to Northampton, MA, on a beautiful Sunday morning in May, during the WEBS tent sale. I browsed but didn't buy anything. Well, I did buy a set of knitting needles, 2 skeins of Encore to help me with a blanket from stash for a little boy, and some innovative stitch markers that Cat Bordhi invented. And I bought her second magical knitting book, from the mobius series. (Told you I didn't buy anything.)

I must admit that getting into that class was such a fluke that to this day, I do not know what it was called. It was not about the Pathways socks -- she did that on the two days prior. There was no way I ever would have had time to go to that. But this class was about creativity and thinking outside the box with your knitting. We spent the morning doing some exercises in creativity, and we sure came up with some really crazily creative hat designs. ( I apologize for the lack of pictures. My batteries were dying.)

The afternoon revealed some more of the true genius that is Cat Bordhi. First of all, she is one of the kindest people you will ever meet on this earth. She made everyone feel wonderful and unique. Here she is, giving us a glimpse of what made her think differently about sock construction. Who would make the leap from an Icelandic sweater yoke to a sock? Cat Bordhi.

Here she is, demostrating her astonishing knitting skills: casting on for a mobius behind her back. The shawl she is wearing was designed and knitted for her by Sivia Harding. The edge was beaded. Truly beautiful.

Remember the mobius? How about a mobius basket, or a mobius cape? In her world, nothing is impossible, and everything is doable.



She was kind enough to sign my book (I stupidly had left the Pathways book at home), and pose with me. Someone should have told me to straighten my scarf...





It was a wonderful and inspiring day, and I felt validated in my thinking much more than I ever have. It was truly a treat to be breathing the same air as Cat Bordhi, a living knitting legend...

3 comments:

magnusmog said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day - isn't it great to meet someone who challenges and inspires you :)

Kristine said...

Hence, the jealousy.

But then, I also feel cooler by association. See, I know you, and you know Cat Bordhi, therefore I know people who know people.

And I don't see any yarn anywhere in that list. You totally didn't buy anything.

I'm cleaning the house today. Wish me luck.

Jody said...

Now you see, Karin. The "breathing the same air-living legend" thing is how I feel about you! You are such a talented and creative person. You need to give yourself more credit! I think you're a legend too!