I knit. And I cook, write, take pictures. All for one low price.

Monday, January 8, 2007

and now, a message from your mother.

Dear son,

I get the sense that the global warming issue is on your mind a lot lately. It worries me too, watching this crazy weather we have been having.

But I want you to remember something: the only time you feel helpless about something is when you can't do anything about it.

We can sit and wait for the government to do something about the climate crisis, or we can start taking matters into our own hands by doing something ourselves.

The issue with global warming is carbon emissions, which have to be curbed drastically. This means everyone needs to curb their energy consumption.

How do we consume energy? Not only by driving big cars. Also by using multiple electronic devices, by leaving the light on where and when we don't need it, by driving when we could be walking or riding a bike. I am sure you can come up with more.

I promise you we will change some of our lightbulbs in the house to compact fluorescents, so we can save some energy around here.
I always combine trips when I have the car, so as not to run out separately and using more gas. We are buying as much food and as many products locally as we can, so that whatever we use will not have traveled thousands of miles.


Read about this: www.100milediet.org

I plan to use my blog as a platform to talk about energy use and conservation, as it relates to people's everyday lives. We must raise consciousness in people as much as we can, in a way that will make them want to do something about global warming themselves.

Why don't you start talking to your friends about global warming, if you are not already? Talking about the weather is a good starting point. Go to the websites Al Gore recommends and present people with facts and solutions.

http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/sgw_feature.asp?id=11

http://climatecrisis.org/

These websites have links to "what you can do", items people can easily follow through with in their lives.

Maybe you can even take it as far as starting your own environmental group on campus? You father and I can help you.

It feels good to be doing something, and to stand for something. Other generations have had to fight for things before us, like the civil rights movement. Now it's our turn.
I truly believe (without wanting to sound conceited), that the global warming issue supercedes all other issues, as our very planet is at stake. It will affect everyone of us, no matter what our convictions and beliefs.

I love you, and I believe in you, and you have my support. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Mom.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your blog! Take care, Sharon